Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Passata

I've got plenty of tomatoes in a bowl that I just haven't been eating quickly enough. 

I've decided to make a passata with them as it's pretty easy and freezes well so I'll have the basis for a pasta sauce next time I decide to make it for a meal.

I made a very basic passata by chopping up the bowl full of tomatoes that I had (yellow ones included).  I then added a few crushed cloves of garlic and some salt and pepper.


I cooked it all up with the lid off and let it simmer for about an hour until it really reduced down.
(Excuse the steam starting to fog up the camera).


Once it cooled then I put it through a mouli.

This gets rid of the skin and the seeds so all you are then left with is...

...a lovely smooth passata.  I made about 600ml from the bowlful of tomatoes I had so I've frozen them into two 300ml lots.


All that remains now is next time I'm having pasta to defrost one of my containers and cook it up with whatever other veges and spices I want for a lovely pasta meal.

Yum.

Hope you're all enjoying some delicious meals too.

xx Susan

No comments: