Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Not quite so spring rolls

I had intended to make homemade chicken nuggets.  Kids LOVE chicken nuggets and I wanted to make some really tasty ones that weren't processed and filled with the vile, don't want to know type ingredients shown by Jamie Oliver.

I started off by putting two chicken breasts, one grated carrot, one egg, 1/4 cup breadcrumbs, 1 heaped teaspoon korma curry paste and a couple of cloves of crushed garlic (or one heaped teaspoon of crushed garlic from a jar), into a food processor. 

I had originally intend to do a more Italian type flavour with mixed herbs, parmesan and sun-dried tomatoes among other ingredients so I don't quite know how the above list occurred. 


Blitz until it's mush.


From here I had decided (many hours before) to make spring rolls instead of nuggets.  Mainly because I remembered I had spring roll wrappers in the freezer and thought I'd do something a little different.


I really should have learned by now to save making different dinners until hubby is home.  It's not a good time of night to be concentrating on wrapping up lots of little individual treats when you have two tired and constantly cranky kids that want your attention.



I perservered and with only a few threats of bed without dinner and finally got all my little parcels wrapped.

I had intended to fry them up in the wok to make them all nice and golden as spring rolls really should be. 

I ended up putting them in the oven because it's a healthier way of cooking them, my kids wouldn't know the difference and it was so much easier being the mediator to the wars between children that were occuring while dinner was cooking itself.


Voila!  Dinner is served.

 I personally decided they were a little too bland and that next time I'd make some other tasty filling.  Master M who is a bit of a fussy eater looks at me and declares that it's 'yummy.. I'm having some tomorrow'.

(Thank goodness for leftovers!)

Little Miss R, who eats at least 85% of foods put in front of her and is not nearly as fussy as Master M declares that....

'...no..  I don't really like it.'

I reply by saying that you can put nearly anything you want in the middle of the rolls and next time if I tried something different I'm sure she would like it.  (Really a pretty silly statement by me.  Much too broad and Little Miss R had something to say about that of course.  I so have to be on my toes around this one.)

Little Miss R's reply:

'If you put ice-cream in it I would eat it all.'

I should have known she would best me....but then ice-cream is the answer to nearly everything when you're six isn't it.


No comments: